Monday, April 5, 2010

Easter long weekend 2010

Monday 5 April
Long run 32-34k (3.5hours including drink stops)


I decided to stay at the house in town last night so that I would have a good sleep and not wake up stiff for my long run. I was going to do it Sunday but didn't wake up well after sleeping in a tent the night before. So off I went, from Dunkeld where I grew up and ran all the way to Hamilton which is the next town where I went to school. It is a pretty big milestone for me to be able to run from my parents house into my sisters house in Hamilton! I remember when I first rode my bike with Josh that distance and that was such an achievement, and this morning I ra all the way in!!! It was a great run.
My garmin's battery died at the 28k mark so I don't know exactly the distance. I will find out as Kerri is going to measure the rest of it, but I think it was 33k. Very happy with that. Before the garmin died I was going at 5.55min/km for most of the way, sometimes quicker. I felt strong, although very thirsty cos it was a HOT morning.

So...the run...I ran to 24.5k before having a quick stop to fill up my fuel belt, see my gorgeous nephews and Kerri and Andy who came out to meet me with drinks and lollies.

Cody (7yrs old) wanted to run with me so he joined me for approx 200m (right) or so before Ryan also joined in and ran with me for another 100m. It was just lovely to have them both with me running along. They were so puffed after that run that they hopped back in the car and drove to the next point where I met them at the Lake for a drink.

With only a couple of k's to their house I gave them my fuel belt, just taking one little bottle with me, had a quick stretch and off I went. With about 1km to go, Cody got on his bike and rode the last little bit with me. Always the hardest bit of the run it was wonderful having some company.

I could see Kerri, Andy, Ryan and baby Jesse waiting at the gate to their house for me with the camera and then Ryan came sprinting towards me so excited that I was nearly there! I told him to turn around and he sprinted the last 50m of so to the gate and made it to the finish!! He was pooped hehe...so cute.

 


I gave Jesse a hi-5 as I went past, grabbed a drink from Kerri and gave the boys some lollie jelly babies for all their hard work.
Oh, and to top off the morning I ran and jumped into their pool with my clothes on! Perfect way to end a long run. The boys hopped in and we had a play for a bit before heading back out to the farm to see the rest of the family.


THANK YOU SO MUCH to my beautiful nephews for running along with me today and to Kerri and Andy for the water/drinks along the way. It makes it so much easier know that you guys will be there with the drinks instead of having to carry them all with me.



Sunday 4 April
Climb mountain (2hr25min return)

Had a great walk with Sherryn to the top of mount sturgeon from the farm. We went up the mountain on the track and then on the way down we just set my GPS to camp and headed straight down the other side of the mountain, no track at all just straight down. It was so much fun!! We both fell on our bum once and came out with quite a few scratches from all the trees we were climbing through, but it was great! So cool to just turn up back at camp from the middle of the bush! Thank god for modern technology :)

Saturday 3 April
Rest day

Today we did a bit more wood cutting, rode around on the motorbikes and just hung around camp with the family. It was another great day, lots of footy and cricket, as well as chocolate easter eggs and campfood.

Friday 2 April
8.5k run


Before heading out to the farm for camping, I went out early for a run. It was a bit windy and light rain, I just felt tired. I'm glad I went out before the farm though, even though we were cutting and carting wood for the rest of the day! Ok so I didn't do too much til late afternoon but we did play cricket and footy, and I babysat! It was a great day.

4 comments:

  1. Yes it really was a great weekend. Well done on your big run from Hamilton to Dunkeld. That really is a great achievement.
    Thanks for coming on the walk up the mountain with me on Sunday, I loved it. A few months ago it wouldn't have been something I would have even attempted so thanks for your support (and GPS).
    Not long now until the big run so keep up the good work!
    XXXXXXX
    Sherryn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, it was heaps of fun coming down the wrong side of the mountain :) I'll definitely do it again! hehe yeah less than 5 weeks now, getting closer...xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work Rell, you are doing so well & all the family are so proud of you.
    luv Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Cus! I love how much you're all so interested in what I'm doing :) Thank you! xxx

    ReplyDelete

GOR Marathon 2010

GOR Marathon 2010